InSite's CSV File to KML application
This application generates KML files with event epicentral locations that can be visualised in Google Earth and other KML-enabled GIS applications. It also provides a map view of the events epicentres in OpenStreetMap. The files are generated from 'CSV Event data' export files from ASC's InSite seismic processing software. Follow the steps below to get the epicentral map:
- Export the seismic event results as a csv file from InSite. This is found in the 'Export' dialog in 'Data visualiser': Export->CSV event data... The file must contain as a minimum location information.
- Click the 'Choose file' button below and browse for the exported csv file
- Select the UTM zone for the region where events locate
- Click the 'Generate KML' button. Northing and Easting coordinates will be converted to Latitude and Longitude values according to the selected UTM zone and hemisphere. The converted values will be automatically displayed in a table in this page.
- Click the 'Preview' button. This will take you to a new page with a preview of the content of the KML file and a map view of the events.
- Click 'Download KML' to download the converted file to your default download folder. The file is called seismicdata.txt, please rename it to have the extension .kml to visualise it on Google Earth.